Got any stray zucchinis left? We had one gigantic straggler from the garden that we’ve been trying to use up. I mean huge. The length of my forearm and hand, probably 6″ in diameter at its widest point, thick-skinned and beginning to hollow in the middle. Whoops. Left that one on the vine too long.
So, we’ve been throwing zucchini in our oatmeal, our breads, our eggs, and dinners. This is the recipe I came up with last night:
Herbed Alfredo Pasta with Zucchini
- 16 oz pasta
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- dash crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1/8 cup fresh chopped basil
1) Boil water for pasta and cook according to package directions.
2) In the meantime, heat oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper to pan. Cook 3-4 minutes.
3) Add flour to skillet, stir to coat ingredients. Quickly add the milk. Bring to a simmer & stir frequently to avoid burning. When slightly thickened & bubbly, add Parmesan cheese. Once its melted and heated through, add fresh herbs.
4) Drain pasta & toss with sauce to coat. Enjoy!
Try it? Like it? Change it up? Let us know! 🙂